Handcrafted Cold Process Soap
The process that I use when making almost all of my soaps is the cold process soap making method. This method creates a gentle soap that cures over a 4 to 6 week period and produces a long-lasting bar that is super moisturizing.
Cold saponification - Saponification is a chemical reaction provoked by mixing a fat (oils, butters, etc) with a strong base. For solid soap, the strong base is sodium hydroxide lye.
This reaction creates two elements.. glycerin and soap. A cold processed soap is ready the moment all the lye has been chemically transformed and there is none of it left. In order for all the lye to be transformed into soap, the oils or butters are used in excess to be sure that all the lye is transformed.
The making of soap goes back thousands of years! If you care to do the research, it's actually very interesting how it first started. It's something we don't think about much when we use soap on a day to day basis. How is it made?
There are so many reasons why cold process soaps are amazing! Just to name a few:
‐ It is so moisturizing! Cold process soap made with natural ingredients like plant oils and butters creates a creamy lather for deep moisture.
- It's natural, and it works! The natural benefits of ingredients like coconut oil, shea butter and olive oil can be lost through some soap making techniques. Cold process soap making ensures these natural ingredients and their benefits stay in your soap...where it should be! I make my soaps at room temperature - because of this all of the butters and oils conserve their amazing beneficial properties.
- The amazing scent stays! Cold process soaps are often fragranced with natural essential oils or fragrance oils. Since cold process soap takes weeks to cure, the scent intensifies over that period of time.
- Environmentally Friendly. Since there is little to no heating period. This process therefore requires very little energy.
- Awesome Lather. Cold process soap has the ability to create incredible lather and is a luxury soap!
- Last but not least..my favorite part. The artistry! Cold process soap making techniques include a level of artistry. Many soaps are decorated with swirls, layers of color and all sorts of awesome designs! This part of soapmaking truly has my heart! I love making "Art that you can use!"
"LIFE IS SHORT, USE THE PRETTY SOAP."